Guidelines for project websites
These guidelines relate to Infra policies on resource consumption, linking, legal use, and site ownership. For policies and guidelines that fall under other committees or directors, please see their respective sites/pages.
NOTE: In December, 2021 all TLP web sites and the main
apache.org site started redirecting any pages using
https and set up HTTP Strict Transport Security, or HSTS. This was at the request of projects and end users, to enhance site security.
- Projects cannot use tools that require write access to the project repository.
- Never link directly to downloads hosted at
apache.org. Always use the mirror scripts like closer.lua.
- Never redirect from the front page of your project's site,
$TLP.apache.orgto another domain.
$TLP.apache.orgmust be your main project site. Links from your project site to other locations are of course okay.
- Never redirect from a
$TLP.apache.orgsite to a non-ASF site unless the ASF has explicitly approved this, as for projects that have an existing web presence before joining the ASF.
- Don't cause unnecessary resource use (CPU, RAM, disk space). Use common sense, but Infra will ultimately decide on a case-by-case basis whether there is unnecessary use.
- The ASF must own all official project web sites (including their domain names), and you must host them on ASF hardware under Infra control.
- Web sites must be licensed under Apache License v.2.
- You must not host or distribute any material that may constitute a felony under US or German law.
- All web sites must be available on ASF's git or svn servers, and published using git- or pypubsub.
- Do not host source releases or convenience binaries directly on the web site. See Release download pages for projects.
Note: Any ASF project can use the ASF-Pelican template as the basis for their project website.
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or on our Slack channel.
Copyright 2023, The Apache Software Foundation, Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.
Apache® and the Apache feather logo are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation...